Graemon's grey-matters

My thoughts spill out as they will, but mostly I like to write about 1/6th scale Action Figures and stuff related to military history matters. It's my opinion on stuff, and sometimes, it won't be easy-reading. So, proceed with caution and I hope you find something to amuse yourself.

Name:
Location: Michigan

Hey! I'm complicated and unique, just like everybody else. Maybe I'm just MORE complicated and unique than most.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Excuse me for being a downer, but...

...that's how I feel today. Man, it feels like someone pulled a couple of my plugwires and I'm only hitting on 6 out of 8 cylinders. I got no good excuse for feeling kinda messed up, either. The Lady Graemon is feeling wiped-out also. Wierd. We both must be coming down with "something," a virus or something like that. Yuck, and it sux to be me, I know.

Actually, today I received a package from a trade--a full gift-set of Mademoiselle Marie. Talk about a cool set! This one is IT. Now, I haven't lost my sense of reason about Dreams and Visions, the maker of this set, and I'm not really a big fan of the Sgt. Rock comix from 30-35 years ago, either, but Marie is kinda cool, even for me. 'Course, I DO like the Cy Girls and Marie is based upon the CY Girl body style. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the French mystique, I don't know.

Marie, the doll, is beautiful, in trashy sorta way. Her eye make-up seems kinda heavy with lotsa light blue eye shadow. Her lips are full with deep red lipstick, with only a slight gap between her lips, unlike that vapid, empty-headed appearance of most "smiley-faced" Barbie dolls. Marie looks like she "could be" real, in her own special way.

She's dressed in a red, turtle-neck, long-sleeve sweater and wears a knee-length black skirt. Believe it or not, she's wearing black fish-net stockings and high-heel shoes! Now don't THAT make a guy stand up and go, "Oo-la-la Bay-bay!" 'Course, the Thompson sub-machine gun and ammo bandoleer around her neck kinda/sorta ruins the "French party babe" look, ya know? I'm afraid to check under her clothes to see if she's packing a French Lebel revolver in her skivvies. Maybe a Fairburn-Sykes commando dagger, even! Holy smokes! What if she's packing a grenade or sumthin' under her bra! She looks kinda busty to me!

Her clothing in the window-box arrangement are pretty neat, too. I haven't removed her from the box yet, and probably won't until I'm ready to "do" something with her, like use her in a photo-shoot of some type--several ideas pop to mind right now, including a match-up meeting with Sgt. Rock and the Men from Easy Company--you were thinking something else, maybe?

Anyway...her clothing. She comes with numerous articles of clothing for her "missions," including a set of snug-appearing fatigue shirt and trousers, a "peasanty" appearing dress and blouse, a belted beige overcoat, a blond wig, a pair of combat boots, a morse code radio in a carrying case, a stick of dynamite, (prolly the weakest looking article in the set,) a maroon beret to go with the red beret she wears already, a .45 pistol and holster and lastly, a pair of clear green sunglasses. (Did they have sunglasses back in the 40's?)

I'm impressed by the sheer number of items that come in this set. I don't usually change clothing on my figs once I get them set up as I want them, but I am intriqued that I have the option with Marie.

The price-tag. I got a deal from my seller--$55, shipped, for the gift set. I've seen this set for sale at the on-line retailers for more, around $65, NOT including shipping, as I recall from the majority of them when Marie was first released. NOW that I've had the chance to see the box and the items in hand, I would say that, yes, $65 was a fair price and $55 makes me feel very good about my decision to buy at this time, from this seller.

Marie won't be for everybody. She's for a more specialized collector, if I may seem a little smug and maybe, snobbish. I don't mean to be, but maybe in this case, I think I am. The price-tag will keep many folks from buying her, when compared to a Dragon figure--even a Dragon "Soldat" series figure. She IS more closely compared to, maybe, a Cyber Hobby "special" release figure set. And, of course, being that she is a comic book heroine, and being that she's a female figure, will keep many of the "Manly Men" from including her in their collections. She just wouldn't "fit in" with many collections UNLESS you had a fairly eclectic collection the way that I do.

'Course, if you collect Barbies, Cy Girls, "Perfect Body" fem-figs, Dragon fem-figs and BBI fem-figs, and the like, you MUST buy Marie because she WILL add to your collections of fem-figs! Look around and you should be able to find Marie available in different places--E-bay comes to mind immediately, and I KNOW I have seen her and this set there a number of times. Marie was available as a stand-alone figure for about $35 in both long-hair and short-hair versions. I believe she came with an option of different eye colors--maybe green, instead of blue, but don't quote me on that little detail.

I would love to share a photo of her, in her window-box set, with you, and I will in the near future, just as soon as I can manage to set up enough work-space after my "room move project," which is now in it's second week of dis-array. Hopefully, this week-end coming up will be the LAST major effort necessary to "put things right" and then I will be able to set up my 1/6th "photo studio" area and start snapping a ton of pix for the Blog-space! Gawds, you don't KNOW how much I crave that ability--to be able to set up my stuff and photograph my ideas WHEN I want to, and desire to, and leave things set up without having to tear down and re-arrange things each and every time! I salivate just thinking about it!

Ok then--there it is! I've shared my lastest acquisition with you and I actually feel better now than when I started writing tonight! I thank you for reading along with my review of sorts.

2 Comments:

Blogger gibri said...

Hey, I'm glad to hear you got the Marie set. I think this is the first set of Marie that was available. I also think, if memory serves, that this set was over $100.00 when it first came out. So, I'd say you done good!

I hear you about the picture taking. It was the longest time before I was able to take pics and even longer before I was able to post them myself. It's a good feeling to finally be able to do it, and I look forward to seeing your collection and the ideas you want to share.

Brian

1:50 AM  
Blogger Brigadier Graemon said...

I hear ya, man! Right after I posted this installment, I went cruising e-bay and saw one new entry for a Marie. The auction starting bid was $65 and "Buy-it-now" price was over $100! MAN! I don't remember too well, now ya brought it up, that Marie started at $100 when she first came out! Hey, she's cool, as I said in my review, but I swallowed hard when I think about her going for a hundred bills! No way, Jose, would I part with THAT kinda cash for her, and yes, I have paid that much for other "limited edition" pieces. I just CAN'T agree that Marie, here and now today, is worth THAT much, nice as she is.

Thanks Brian for sharing and your nice comments! I enjoy your company! Please stop back again--you're always welcome hereabouts!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home